Day Two: 27 September 2017
Chair’s welcoming remarksRonald Given
Co-Managing Partner , Wolf Theiss
Ron Given is the Co-Managing Partner of the Wolf Theiss office in Warsaw. He previously served the firm as the head of the Croatia office and as a resident senior partner in the Czech Republic and Ukraine offices. He joined Wolf Theiss in 2008 after a long career as a corporate and banking partner with the international law firm Mayer Brown. He also served for several years as the general counsel of a NASDAQ-listed, Bermuda-based international insurance holding company.
Keynote presentation: What are the current macroeconomic trends and developments in the CEE region?
Dealmaker’s outlook panel: Inbound Investors – what opportunities is attracting them into the area?
- Outlook of deal activity in the CEE region and beyond with a focus on emerging markets, inbound and cross-border deals.
- Who are the main inbound investors into the region and what are their long-term goals?
- How are they sourcing their deals and what successes have they had?
- How have they adapted their investment models to suit these markets?
- What are local expectations for them for the future?
Managing Director, Head of Warsaw , Goldman Sachs
Artur heads the Polish investment banking effort at Goldman Sachs and is the director of Goldman Sachs International, Warsaw Branch. He joined Goldman Sachs in 2006. In his role, he has originated and led several of the landmark transactions in the Polish/CEE market across products (M&A, ECM and DCM) and various industries. Prior to joining Goldman Sachs, Artur worked at Lehman Brothers and ABN AMRO. He earned an MBA from IESE Universidad de Navarra, Spain.Dorian Macovei
Managing Director , EMSA Capital
Dorian has over 17 years of experience in private equity, restructuring and turnarounds in various countries of Central and Eastern Europe, Western Europe and Caucasus. Currently Dorian is responsible for managing EMSA Capital's CEE Special Situations Fund, targeting turnaround opportunities across CEE region, leading acquisitions, implementation of the turnaround plans across portfolio companies and managing exits. Previously involved in sourcing, analyzing and negotiation of a number of investment opportunities, performed valuations, prepared and implemented turnaround action plans and debt restructuring plans, worked on due diligence assignments. Industry experience includes chemicals, steel, construction materials, engineering, food processing, retail and IT Services. Dorian graduated from Academy of Economic Sciences in Bucharest with a degree in Finance, is a CFA Chartholder since 2006 and member of the CFA Institute and Turnaround Management Association.Robert Chmelař
Investment Partner , Rockaway Capital
On-Stage Interview: Chinese acquirers
Could China boost CEE’s activity and what impact will the new government policy have on investments?
Panel: Fintech Investments
- Will CEE be the next breeding ground for tech start-ups?
- Which other sectors are becoming more of an appeal for investors?
- Value creation and growth strategies of investors in the region
- Digitalisation - Perspectives on how to get the digital advantage
Panel: Private Debt Market
- In regards to capital structures for mid-market – how are debt funds being used as an alternative to minority PE?
- How can the Italian market be attractive for foreign investors in terms of expected returns?
Partner , MCI Capital / Private Equity Managers
Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM) with over 12-years experience in corporate finance, banking, risk management, financial modeling and transaction structuring. Expertise in financial services, fintech, agriculture, healthcare and e-commerce.
Graduated from the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management of the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń in Financial Management and Accounting.
He started his career at KPMG, on a team responsible for audits of banks and financial institutions. From 2004 to 2010, he worked at the Controlling and Management Information Department of mBank S.A. In 2010, he joined the team of KGHM TFI S.A. as a Financial Controller. From 2011 to 2014 he was engaged by PKO BP BANKOWY PTE S.A., where he was responsible for the assessment and management of investment and operational risk and he was a member of the investment committee.
Fireside Chat: Divestments and Carve-outs success stories
- How do you get a business fit for a divestment?
- What is needed for a Carve-out target to be fit for transaction?
- Carve-out issues to be considered when drafting the sale and purchase agreement
- Has there been a boom in corporate carve-outs and what market dynamics are driving it?
- Why should any company consider a carve-out – what are the motivations for even starting to think about carving out with a view to divestment via sale or spin-off?
- What to think about before starting a carve-out - what can make or break a successful process?
Meet the acquirers: Consumer
A M&A Director discusses negotiating a transaction, growth and divesture strategies as well as the key milestones and navigating through an increasingly complex M&A environment.
Panel: Post-Merger integration issues and strategies corporates can use to succeed
- Can you retain everything that is positive about a company’s culture and integrate the business?
- How are new company(s) structured and valued?
- Are both of the merged companies adhering to the same corporate strategy?
- What are the implications for human capital management and due diligence?
Meet the acquirers – TMT
M&A plans of active companies and funds in the TMT sector - what are the challenges and opportunities in the CEE region?
Panel: Economic Fortunes – Romania
- Why has there been an increase in deal activity in Romania and what are the hot sectors?
- How intensively are Chinese and Asian strategic investors looking at Romanian investments?
- Is there a valuation gap between sellers and buyers?
- Do you expect Brexit to impact M&A sentiment in Romania?
Chair’s closing remarks and networking drinks