Meet the Speakers
• Head of Morgan Stanley’s Latin America M&A practice since 2008
• In Investment Banking at Morgan Stanley since 1993
• Experience includes M&A, restructuring, privatization, equity and debt capital markets financing transactions for governments and corporate clients in the USA and throughout the Americas
• 13 years dedicated Latin America banking experience
• 11 years as telecom industry banker, USA and Americas
• MBA, UCLA Anderson 1993; BA, Dartmouth College 1983
• Prior to Morgan Stanley, served 7 years as officer in the
• US Navy (including 5 months as exchange officer in Chilean Navy)
• Speaks Spanish and Portuguese
• Based in New York
Selected Transactions – Latin America
• Banorte: $1.4bn Merger with GF Interacciones (2017)
• Unilever plc: Acquisition of HPC brands from Quala Inc. (2017)
• Tenaris USA: Sale of Republic Conduit (2017)
• Walmart de México: $990MM sale of Suburbia (2016)
• Etex S.A.: Sale of Latam ceramics business to Grupo Lamosa
• Avianca Holdings: $343MM sale of 30% of LifeMiles (2015)
• Kuwait Investment Authority: 25% equity investment into Gas Natural S.A.’s Global Power Generation subsidiary (2015)
• Millicom: $3Bn merger of Colombia Movil with UNE-EPM (2013), $800MM bond offering by Tigo Guatemala (2014), $350MM bond offering by Tigo Paraguay (2012), $450MM bond offering by Telemovil El Salvador (2010)
• Maestro: $727MM Sale of Peru’s largest home improvement retailer to Falabella/Sodimac (2014)
• Lafarge S.A.: $553MM sale of Ecuador to Unacem (2014)
• CPP Investment Board: $800MM acquisition of 34% equity stake in Transportadora de Gas del Peru (2014)
• Walmart de México: $670MM sale of VIPS restaurants (2013)
• Grupo Modelo: $20Bn sale of control stake to AB-Inbev (2012)
• Cemento Andino: merger with Cementos Lima (2012)
• Alpek: $700MM IPO (2012)
• Grupo SAESA: Sale of MSIP’s 50% stake to AIMCO (2011)
• Telmex: $6Bn tender offer for public float by América Móvil (2011)
• Globo: $605MM sale of 19% stake in Sky Brasil to DirecTV (2010)
• Sumitomo Corp: $1.9Bn iron ore mining JV with Usiminas (2010)
• Mexichem: Acquisition of AlphaGary (2010)
• América Móvil: multiple $1bn+ bond offerings, 2003-2012
• Govt. of Brazil: $19bn restructuring and privatization sale of Telebrás regional telephone holding companies (1998)
Marcelo Fedak is a Managing Director in the Real Estate group and is based in São Paulo. Mr. Fedak is involved in sourcing and analyzing investment opportunities in Latin America. Prior to joining Blackstone in 2015, Mr. Fedak was at BTG Pactual where he was a Partner and Head of Real Estate, overseeing over $3 billion of assets under management across Latin America. Prior to that, Mr. Fedak worked at Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse and was involved in various M&A and capital market transactions across multiple industries. Mr. Fedak received a BA in business from FGV - Escola de Administracao de Empresas de Sao Paulo
Mr. Pedro Juliano joined J.P. Morgan in 1998, and currently is the Head of Investment Banking for J.P. Morgan in Brazil and also Head of the Latin America Financial Sponsors Group for the Investment Bank. Mr. Juliano also spent time in NY for 10 years working as part of the Investment Banking team.
Mr. Juliano obtained his undergraduate degree in Industrial Engineering from the Universidade de São Paulo and a Business degree from Fundação Getúlio Vargas. He also holds an MBA degree from the Wharton School of Business from the University of Pennsylvania. A Brazilian citizen, he is fluent in English, Portuguese and Spanish.
Luis is a managing director in the Latin America Group in the Investment Banking Division.He has geographical responsibility for the Andean Region and responsibility for thePower, Oil and Gas business broadly in LatinAmerica.
Previously, Luis was a member of the Global Natural Resources team and the Investment Banking team in Iberia. He joined Goldman Sachs as an analyst in 1996 in London, moved to Madrid in 2007 and relocated to Santiago in 2013 to open the office and establish the investment banking franchise in the region. Luis was named managing director in 2007. Luis earned a degree in economics and business administration from ICADE in1996.
Mark Rosen is Chairman of Latin America Investment Banking. He is also responsible for Latin American financial institutions coverage at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Previously, Mark was a Managing Director of Credit Suisse, which held the market leading position advising financial institutions in Latin America, during his 12 years with that firm. Bank of America Merrill Lynch is now also a market leader advising financial institution in this region.
Prior to his time at Credit Suisse, Mr. Rosen was the Head of the M&A for Latin America at UBS and Head of Latin American Investment Banking at Barclays.
Mark holds a BA in politics, philosophy and economics from Oxford University and an MBA from the Harvard Business School.
Graduated from Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (PUC-SP) in 1997, Thiago Sandim focuses his practice on M&A and private equity. Among his regular clients, he advises big foreign sovereign wealth funds and pension funds, as well as large Brazilian Banks and conglomerates. Thiago Sandim is a visiting professor of the LL.M. program at Instituto de Ensino de Pesquisa (Insper), and acts at the board of retail, financial services and real estate development companies acting in Brazil.
- Advised in 2017: Deere & Company in the contract for the acquisition of Wirtgen Group, an international leader in the production of roads construction equipment. Odebrecht Rodovias on the disposal of 33.33% participation of the total share capital at Concessionária ViaRio to CCR, for approximately BRL 33.7 million. OdebrechtTransport in a sale of 15% of Via Quatro to CCR for BRL 171.14 million.
- Advised in 2016: EFG International in the CHF 1.3 bi acquisition of BSI S.A. from BTG Pactual; VINCI Highways in the BRL 4.5 bi acquisition of LAMSAC from INVEPAR; VINCI Highways in the BRL 35.7 million acquisition of Peruvian electronic toll collection operator PEX Perú from INVEPAR; Ecorodovias in the BRL 115 million sale of Elog Logistica Sul to Multilog; Odebrecht Rodovias on the BRL 107.6 million sale of its stake in ViaRio corresponding to 33,33% of the total share capital to CCR; Oncologia Rede D'Or S.A. in the acquisition of the total capital stock of Clínica Salus.
- Advised in 2015: GIC, Singapore's sovereign wealth fund, in the sale of a 2% stake in Rede D'Or São Luiz to Carlyle; GIC in the acquisition of a circa 25% stake in Rede D'Or São Luiz from BTG Pactual; GIC Pte in a new acquisition of 1% in Rede D'Or São Luiz from BTG Pactual; Pioneer Investments (owned by UniCredit) on its merger with Santander Asset Management in a transaction valued at EUR 5.4 bi; PSP in the acquisition of ViaBahia; Ontario Teachers in the renegotiation of its USD 500 millioninvestment in Manabi.
- Advised in 2014: Odebrecht Agroindustrial in the structuring of the BRL 820 millioncapital increase by the Odebrecht Conglomerate; Odebrecht Group to team-up with Mitsui Corp. in the Brazilian urban mobility market, in an investment with a backlog of BRL 17 bi. Mitsui will acquire 40% of the new company through an investment of BRL 500 million in the short term, while OTP will allocate 4 major urban mobility assets to the venture; Vesuvius plc in the acquisition of Ecil Met Tec Lda., Ecil North America LLCand US Lake Effect Properties LLC, involving BRL 83 million; Generali S.p.A on the USD 1.7 bi sale of BSI to BTG Pactual; Booz on the acquisition of certain professional advisory services of PwC.; Odebrecht TransPort in the BRL 17 bi joint venture with Mitsui in the Brazilian Urban Mobility Market; GIC on co-investments with KKR and Advent; Abril Educação S.A. on the restructuring of its business; GIC in investment into ACECO, a company acquired by KKR early in 2014; Construdecor S.A. in the acquisition of Lille from Tecnisa S.A. for BRL 100 million.
- Advised in 2013: OTPP and Quadrant Capital Management on their minority investment in Dafiti; Falabella on the acquisition of Brazilian retailer Dicico for USD 189 million; Airports Company of South Africa - ACSA on the negotiation of the USD 3 bibridge loan for terminal 3 of the São Paulo International Airport; Consortium of shareholders on the IPO of BTG Pactual, elected as deal of the year by IFLR.
- Advised in 2012: ACSA on the formation of a consortium to participate in the winning BRL 16.2 bi bid for the concession of the Guarulhos airport - elected as Latin Lawyer's deal of the year; PSP on the EUR 600 million investment for 30% of the Brazilian business of Grupo Isolux Corsán S.A.; OTPP on the USD 300 million PIPE investment in the capital stock of Manabi.
- Advised in 2011: OTPP, KIC and Southeastern Investments LLC and 60 other investors to subscribe for a capital increase in the amount of USD 550 million in Manabi; Kayaba Industry Co., Ltd. on the creation of a joint venture in Brazil with Mando Corporation.
- Elected as the Brazilian M&A Deal Maker of the Year - 2014 by Financier Worldwide
- Quoted as Leading Individual by Chambers Latin America and Global in M&A since 2007.
- Mentioned by Latin Lawyer in 2007 in the article "Heads and Shoulders Above the Rest."
- Quoted as a leading individual by other publications such as PLC and Legal 500. Led the Brazilian legal team in award winning transactions in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 (see above for further information).